Notre Dame to bid farewell to seniors with annual Shamrock Invitational

The No. 22 Irish squads will return home to host their annual Shamrock Invitational on Friday and Saturday after a long road trip.

Fresh off a victory against ACC foes in the No. 20 Florida State men and No. 22 Seminoles women, the Irish are looking to continuing their winning ways and will also honor the teams’ 10 seniors. The meet will feature Missouri State, Iowa, No. 19 Wisconsin and the No. 16 Ohio State men and No. 11 Buckeyes women.

1516838779-ec5eeb7eba44247-1024x558
Irish junior Tabahn Afrik races during Notre Dame's 193.5-159.5 loss to Texas A&M on Oct. 14 at Rolf's Aquatic Center.

[contact-form][contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="true" /][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="true" /][contact-field label="Website" type="url" /][contact-field label="Message" type="textarea" /][/contact-form]

In a highly competitive meet, the Irish are looking to get their fourth and fifth wins over a ranked opponent and prepare for postseason competition, when they compete in the ACC championships in two weeks. In the conference’s standings, the men’s and women’s teams are ranked fourth and fifth, respectively.

In addition to honoring the team’s seniors this weekend, senior diver Joe Coumos’ performance against the Seminoles earned him this week’s ACC Diver of the Week accolade, his second of the season and fifth in his Notre Dame career. At Florida State, Coumos scored a season-high 383.78 points in the 3-meter dive and 327.53 points on the 1-meter dive, earning him wins in both events.

Irish head coach Mike Litzinger is looking forward to competing at home this weekend and honoring his seniors.

“It is always great to compete at home,” Litzinger said. “The Shamrock [Invitational] is a special meet, as it is one of the most competitive in the country over that particular weekend. It is also an opportunity to honor our seniors. It will be great to be home and swimming and diving before our supporters.”

The Irish will return home after a five-week road trip when they host the Shamrock Invitational this Friday and Saturday at Rolf’s Aquatic Center. Swimming events are scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Saturday.