Theresa Romagnolo resigns as head coach

Irish head coach Theresa Romagnolo announced her resignation after four years as head coach of the women’s soccer program.

“It is with my deepest gratitude that I want to thank [University President] Fr. [John] Jenkins, [athletics director] Jack Swarbrick and [senior associate athletics director and women’s soccer sport administrator] Mike Harrity for the opportunity to work at Notre Dame,” Romagnolo said in a statement. “Notre Dame is an incredible university filled with wonderful people and I am grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to represent this program and work alongside amazing people.

“This has been a difficult decision for me and my family, but my personal goals are taking me down a different path at this time. With two young children, it’s best for me to step down as the head coach and find something that will keep me more present with the people I care most about.”

Romagnolo finished her career at Notre Dame with a 51-21-13 overall record, appearing in four straight NCAA tournaments, reaching the Sweet 16 in both 2014 and 2017. In 2016, the Irish won their first-ever ACC regular season title under her supervision. Her teams were particularly strong at home, going a combined 33-10-2 over her four seasons.

Before serving as head coach at Notre Dame, Romagnolo worked as the head coach at Dartmouth for three years and assistant coach at Stanford and San Diego. She also played professionally for the San Jose CyberRays.

This past season, Notre Dame finished with a 10-7-5 record and made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament after upsetting No. 6 Texas A&M in the second round.

“We have been very fortunate to have Theresa as the head coach of our women’s soccer team for the past four years,” Swarbrick said of Romagnolo’s resignation. “She has been a great teacher, mentor and role model for our students. And while we would have preferred that she continue to lead our program, we understand and respect her decision and wish her nothing but the best.”

A nationwide search for Romagnolo’s replacement will commence immediately.