Why I march

I march because I have realized that abortion is one of the worst human rights violations that are being committed in our world today. In order to understand why, let us take a look at fundamental moral, religious and constitutional principles. Speaking of morality and religion, abortion is an act of murder that takes away the life of an innocent human –– an act that violates the law of nature and the law of God. In taking away innocent human life, abortion is also an act of personally interfering with God’s plan. “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born, I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations” (Jeremiah 1:5). By aborting unborn children, we reject God’s plan for each of us, including the unborn, to be “a prophet to the nations.” Constitutionally-speaking, abortion violates the 14th Amendment’s Equal Protection Clause, which says that no state “shall … deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law.” Since Equal Protection applies to people, and since unborn children — as the offspring of two people — are also people, it clearly applies to the unborn. Since abortion is not due process of law, it illegally and unconstitutionally deprives the unborn of life, liberty and even property, as well as the pursuit of happiness. So let’s give the unborn a chance. Let’s continue to urge the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade and base its evaluation of abortion on the rights of both the woman and the unborn child. Since so many of their rights have been violated by the dehumanizing process of abortion, let us all come together as human beings blessed with the gift of life and stand up for the rights of the unborn and the rights of women, calling for an end to abortion and for women’s health centers to provide more alternatives to abortion. In doing so, we will more fully, more faithfully and more truly fulfill our Pledge of Allegiance as “one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Christopher Scott 

senior

Jan. 23