Irish fall to Buckeyes in first loss of season

The Irish dropped their first matchup of the season over the weekend, losing 6-1 at No. 22 Ohio State on Sunday. The loss also marked Notre Dame’s second straight loss to the Buckeyes (3-1).

The afternoon started with doubles action, opening with sophomore Zoe Spence and freshman Cameron Corse winning via a 6-3 decision at the No. 2 doubles spot. Freshman Ally Bojczuk and junior Rachel Chong played in the third spot, but were unable to clinch the point for the Irish (2-1) and fell 6-4. The doubles point would be settled in the number one doubles, in which senior duo Brooke Broda and Allison Miller played to a 6-6 tie. Ohio State, however, won the tie breaker 7-0 and gave the Buckeyes the point.

In singles competition, Ohio State dominated most of the board. Senior Brooke Broda, at No. 1, lost 6-2, 6-0 to Buckeyes senior Anna Sanford. Irish senior Allison Miler, at No. 2, lost 6-1, 6-3 to redshirt freshman Shiori Fukuda. Sophomore Zoe Spence lost 6-3, 6-4 to Ohio State senior Olivia Sneed, deciding the match in favor of the Buckeyes.

Corse bested Ohio State freshman Mary Beth Hurley 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (14-12) in the Irish’s only singles win of the day. Freshman Caroline Dunleavy and Chong lost their respective tiebreakers 10-6.

Despite the loss, Cameron Corse and Zoe Spence have shown to be a bright spot for the young Irish team. Corse is now 3-0 in the 2018 season and 10-2 in singles competition overall since her debut last fall. The duo of Spence and Corse are 3-0 in doubles competition in 2018.

Next up for the Irish is an ACC matchup against Louisville on Friday.