The Observer announces 2018-2019 department heads

Five new and two returning department heads will complete The Observer’s 2018-2019 Editorial Board, incoming Editor-in-Chief Courtney Becker announced Sunday. The new department editors will join Becker, incoming Managing Editor Tobias Hoonhout and Assistant Managing Editors Elizabeth Greason, Lucas Masin-Moyer and Claire Radler in running the paper’s editorial operations.

Juniors Jordan Cockrum, Dominique DeMoe, Joe Everett, Mary Freeman and Nora McGreevy and sophomores Ann Curtis and Natalie Weber will take over their respective departments March 18.

Cockrum, a native of Munster, Indiana, is the incoming Saint Mary’s Editor. She began her work with The Observer her freshman year and has covered a variety of topics, most recently the student health fair and human rights efforts on campus. She is pursuing degrees in humanistic studies and communication studies, and she currently resides in Le Mans Hall.

DeMoe, hailing from Clayton, Delaware, and a resident of Flaherty Hall, will take over the role of Graphics Editor. Majoring in industrial design and minoring in computing and digital technologies, DeMoe began working with The Observer’s Graphics department during her sophomore year to develop her graphic-design skills. She also does graphic-design work for Legends and The Notre Dame Institute for Global Investing.

Everett, who has been writing for The Observer since his freshman year, will take over as Sports Editor. A native of South Bend and a resident of Stanford Hall, he is currently pursuing a degree in the Program of Liberal Studies with a minor in peace studies. Before leaving to study abroad in London this semester, he covered men’s basketball, men’s soccer and cross country.

Freeman is returning for a second year as Viewpoint Editor. She began working for The Observer as a copy editor for the department during fall of her sophomore year, and she is a current resident of Walsh Hall. Hailing from Kansas City, Missouri, Freeman is a Program of Liberal Studies major and theology minor.

McGreevy will be the Scene Editor after serving as interim head of the department during spring of her sophomore year. She is from South Bend and majoring in history and Spanish and minoring in art history. McGreevy began writing for Scene in her freshman year and enjoys writing about museums, movies and all things related to South Bend. She is a member of the Badin Community in Pangborn Hall.

Curtis will take over as Photo Editor, and she is pursuing a degree in communications with a focus in public relations at Saint Mary’s. Originally from Frankenmuth, Michigan, Curtis now lives in Holy Cross Hall and has enjoyed working for the Photo department since her freshman year. Her favorite sport to photograph is hockey, and she has covered a variety of other events for the paper.

Weber, a resident of Cavanaugh Hall, will head the News department. She began her work with The Observer in fall of 2016 and has since covered a range of topics, including Notre Dame’s relationship with the Naval Academy and the University’s various student organizations. Weber hails from western Colorado and is pursuing a degree in English with minors in journalism, ethics and democracy and computing and digital technologies.