Saint Mary's board of trustees, Sisters of the Holy Cross compete in volleyball match

It’s not often that nuns and trustees face off in a volleyball match. Nevertheless, that was the case Thursday night when the Saint Mary’s Board of Trustees challenged the Sisters of the Holy Cross to a rematch for the second annual Sisters vs. Board volleyball match. The Sisters took the victory in three sets. The campus event started with a special picnic dinner in the dining hall, fans who arrived early received free thunder sticks and there was a table for face painting.

First year Mary Blake said she enjoyed game because it benefited benefited a great cause.

“I thought it was really neat to see the board and the nuns play volleyball,” she said “It just sounded like something fun and it was for a good cause, which is important.”

Vice president of student affairs Karen Johnson said she was excited to watch the game and rooting for the nuns.

“I couldn't wait to see the Sisters beat the Board of Trustees,” she said.

First-year Madison Kaple said she attended because she anticipated the event would be noteworthy and was being held to benefit a worthy cause.

“I thought it would be entertaining and I wanted to donate to the cause so I bought a rally towel,” she said.

Sister Patricia Riley came to the game to cheer on her fellow sisters.

“I am here to support the sisters who are playing,” she said.

Johnson emphasized the community-building aspect of the event, noting that many different groups of people were drawn to spectate the match.

“It brings in all kind of people, faculty, students, staff, alums, parents [and] families together just to have fun and watch this competition,” she said.

Kaple said the event helped bring the community together.

“I think it is a great way to bring people together and to see who is on the Board of Trustees and see familiar faces among the Sisters,” she said.

Apparel items were available for purchase — rally towels and shirts were sold prior to the match with the proceeds going to support the Sisters’ worldwide missions.

Blake said that she believes that Saint Mary’s has a duty to support the Sisters.

“The Holy Cross sisters founded our school so I think the school has an obligation to support them and their missions,” Blake said.