Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Judicial Council sanctions McGavick-Gayheart ticket

The Election Committee of Judicial Council announced Tuesday in a press release that it is issuing a sanction in response to a violation of Judicial Council’s Election Regulations by the McGavick-Gayheart ticket.

According to the release, the committee determined that juniors Gates McGavick and Corey Gayheart were in violation of “Election Regulations based on Section 17.1(g)” of the Student Union Constitution, which the press release said read, “You are responsible for your actions as well as the actions of your supporters.”

The release said the McGavick-Gayheart ticket is required to “compose a public apology posted on their campaign Facebook and website pages.”

In response, the McGavick-Gayheart campaign posted a statement to its Facebook page apologizing for “the actions of some of [their] supporters regarding their social media conduct.”

“Please remain respectful at all times when demonstrating any sort of support for our ticket, whether it be on social media or in person,” the statement read. “There is no place for any sort of division or disrespect during a student body presidential campaign. We are all part of the Notre Dame family, and should remain united as brothers and sisters.”

The statement urged supporters of the McGavick-Gayheart ticket to remain positive in the final days of the campaign.

“Moving forward, we want to finish this campaign on a high note with a focus on positivity and respect, especially for all those who have in some way dedicated time to this election,” it said. “This election is important, but absolutely nothing is more important than maintaining the University’s core values.”