-

-

ND Softball

Marino, Reed lead Irish to three-win weekend

| Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Notre Dame surged to a 3-0 start to their season before hitting a pair of roadblocks to finish the weekend with a 3-2 mark at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Arizona.

Offensively, the Irish (3-2) got solid weekends from infielders sophomore Katie Marino and senior Morgan Reed. Both players boast averages above .438 and combined for five home runs over the course of Notre Dame’s five games.

Observer File Photo

Irish senior infielder Morgan Reed swings at a pitch during Notre Dame’s 13-4 win over IUPUI on April 12 at Melissa Cook Stadium.

On the mound, freshman Alexis Holloway started the first game of her Irish career with a win against Seattle, while senior Katie Beriont went 2-1 on the weekend.

Day 1

The Irish began their 2018 campaign with a win over Seattle, as Holloway pitched a complete game and held the Redhawks (3-2) to three runs in a 4-3 Notre Dame win.

Seattle took an early lead on a solo home run in the fourth inning, but Irish junior infielder MK Bonamy picked up an RBI-double in the bottom of the inning to tie the game heading into its later stages.

Holloway allowed a two-run single with the bases loaded in the top of the sixth inning, giving Seattle a 3-1 lead.

But the Irish came back in the bottom of the sixth inning to take the game. Junior infielder Cait Brooks hit a solo home run, and sophomore outfielder Alexis Bazos picked up the first RBIs of her career on a single, putting the Irish up 4-3. Holloway closed out the game with a three-up-three-down seventh inning.

Notre Dame also picked up a win in the second game of the day versus Saint Mary’s. The Gaels (0-6) survived a few early scoring chances from the Irish, but Notre Dame punched through three runs in the fifth inning to take a 3-1 lead.

The Gaels battled back and tied the score at 3-3, however, as Beriont faltered a bit in the later stages of the game. The game went to extra innings, but the Irish quickly erased any doubt when a Marino home run gave Notre Dame a three-run lead. Junior infielder Melissa Rochford added a two-run single to make it 8-3. Freshman pitcher Morgan Ryan came in to finish the game with a shutout inning to give the Irish the victory.

Day 2

After a 2-0 Day 1, Notre Dame kept the momentum going in its next matchup against South Dakota. As with its first two games, Notre Dame faced an early deficit, trailing 2-1 going into the bottom of the second inning.

But the Irish responded. Marino knocked in two runs with a double to left field, and senior infielder Sara White finished up the inning with a two-run home run to give the Irish a 5-2 lead.

Though she allowed two runs in the top of the fourth inning on the mound, Brooks drove in two runs for the Irish to push the lead back to 7-4. Marino added another home run for an insurance score, while Beriont and Ryan closed the game out on the mound to take a 9-6 win over the Coyotes (0-6).

Later in the day, Notre Dame encountered its first loss of the year to No. 23 Arizona State.

The Irish hung with the Sun Devils (5-1) for much of the game, trailing 2-1 in the fourth inning while generating a couple scoring chances.

The Sun Devils simply had too much offense on the day for the Irish to handle, however, and in the next two innings, Arizona State turned a 2-1 advantage into a 9-1 blowout.

Day 3

The Irish finished up their trip to Arizona with a 5-4 loss to Fresno State.

The game looked to be going Notre Dame’s way following home runs from Reed and Marino to make it 4-0 Irish after two innings.

But the Bulldogs (3-2) battled back with timely hitting and strong showings from their relievers to take the win. Fresno State hit solo home runs in each of the game’s final three innings while holding the Irish to four hits in the game’s final five innings.

With the game tied going into the seventh inning, Beriont was unable to force extras and allowed a game-winning hit to Fresno State with one out.

Notre Dame’s next series of games will take place this weekend in Tallahassee, Florida, in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, where the Irish will take on No. 16 Minnesota and No. 18 Michigan.

Tags: , , , , , ,