2019 Sustainability Seminar Series to address climate change

Environmental and climate change experts will share their research at the University’s 2019 Sustainability Seminar Series, sponsored by the Notre Dame Office of Sustainability along with the Kellogg Institute for International Studies and the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, the University announced in a press release Thursday.

The series commenced Feb. 8 with biology professor Jennifer Tank’s presentation titled “The Indiana Watershed Initiative: Fighting for Freshwater Using a Translational Approach.” Tank’s research primarily involves understanding the contributions of small streams in removing nitrogen from the water near farmlands, which would otherwise pollute areas further downstream. Her research was featured as part of the University’s “What Would You Fight For?” series in 2015.

Political science and peace studies professor Patrick Regan will lead “Climate Vulnerability: Measurement and Implications for Knowledge” on March 22 in 1050 Jenkins Nanovic Hall. Regan is also the associate director of the Environmental Change Initiative for ND-Gain, a group exploring the effects of climate change through the view of human social behaviors and adaptations.

Paul Kempf, senior director of utilities and maintenance at the University will speak at “Notre Dame Goes Greener: An Energy Infrastructure Update” on April 5. The two departments are responsible for all heat and power at the University, as well as the general maintenance of Notre Dame's campus.

The two remaining seminars will both take place from noon to 1 p.m. and are open to the public, the release said. 

Editor's Note: A former version of this article misnamed Paul Kempf as Patrick Kempf.