Club provides social alternatives

Flipside flyers can be seen posted around campus in a wide array of colors and bold headlines, specifically designed to captivate students' attention. The club, from which students from Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross are invited to participate, aims to provide low-cost, alcohol-free entertainment for students.

The club constitution states that they provide events to students who "choose not to drink whether it be for a night or a lifestyle."

"Flipside can be cool," Matt Mauntel, publicity commissioner said. "We are not anti-drinking and we're definitely not anti-fun."

A recently sponsored Flipside event, Rudy on the Quad, drew a crowd of approximately 300 students. A bowling night and a trip to Hacker's Golf and Games also hit near capacity.

"Flipside has always been a strong club on campus," Mauntel said, "and this year is no exception."

The next Flipside event is Card and Board Game Night, slated for Saturday from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the LaFortune Ballroom. There will be free pizza and drinks for those who attend.

Some upcoming events also include the Halloween Dance on Oct. 31 and the Meijer Extravaganza on Nov. 14. Mauntel describes the Extravaganza as "a combination of a supermarket sweep, an Oreo stacking contest, and a shopping trip.

"It also gives students a chance to shop who may not have the means to easily travel off campus," he added.

Mauntel said the organization is exploring the possibility of showing The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers before the third movie of the trilogy, The Return of the King, is released. Official plans have yet to be set.

All Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross students are invited to attend Flipside events. Additional information can be found on posters and the Flipside Web site at http://www.nd.edu /~flipside/.

Weekly planning meetings are held Sundays at 7 p.m. in the Notre Dame room of LaFortune.