Group debates food plans

Saint Mary's Board of Governance members discussed the new Noble Family Dining Hall and various meal plan options at Monday's meeting.

Campus Food Services Commissioner Mary Holland said concerns about the new dining hall are being addressed.

"The kinks are being worked out," Holland said. "The lines for food are not so bad anymore. We got the deli bar back and the sundae bar is on its way."

The Food Services Commissioner position was created in conjunction with the new dining hall. Holland meets weekly with dining hall director Barry Bowles and relays student opinions to Sodexho Marriott, Saint Mary's food service provider.

Board members expressed concern about a new meal plan option offered this year that allows students up to eight meals per week and $150 in Munch Money. According to some Board members, the plan is more expensive per meal than other options.

"The breakdown of meals and prices is very confusing," Holland said. "But the dining hall has to cover its costs. It is run as a business."

Board members said they saw a need for an increase in meal plan options and clarification on the finances of each meal plan, discussing a possible presentation by Food Services on the meal plans.

"I think the best thing to do is to hear the presentation," said Student Body President Elizabeth Jablonski-Diehl. "Then we can decide how to best present this to the student body."

In other BOG news:

u The Board welcomed recently-elected freshman class president Claudia Toth at Monday's meeting. With the help of Elections Commissioner Nicole Haeberle, Toth and her fellow officers will organize the first-year class board in the coming weeks.

u BOG voted unanimously to provide $150 in sponsorship money for students participating in the breast cancer awareness event Race for the Cure. The group will run the 5k race Oct. 4 in Chicago.

u Members also voted to donate $150 to the Women's Care Center, which has several locations in South Bend and serves as a crisis center for struggling young women, offering services such as pregnancy counseling.