Irish down Red Storm, stay undefeated

The Notre Dame women's soccer team remained unbeaten Thursday, knocking off St. John's 2-0 at Belson Field. Senior forward Amy Warner scored the eventual game-winner for the Irish off an assist for Katie Thorlakson.

The game marked the lowest scoring output of the season thus far for the Irish, who now have outscored their opponents 22-3 on their way to their No. 2 ranking. The Irish came into the night ranked fifth in the nation in goal scoring with a 5.0 average.

The win moves the Irish to 5-0, while St. John's dropped to 1-4.

The Irish outshot the Red Storm 18-6 and had a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks, but St. John's goalie Tracy Rollins kept the game close with eight saves.

The Irish dominated the first half but were unable to come up with a score. That changed early in the second half, however, as the 10th game-winning goal of Warner's career came at the 50:58 mark. Thorlakson set up the goal with a back pass to the top of the box. Warner ripped a shot off the fingertips of Rollins to give the Irish the lead.

St. John's gave themselves a couple of opportunities to tie the game, including a near-miss from Holly Ryder off the right post. After the ball deflected back into play Erinn Flaherty missed the rebound wide right.

Senior Amanda Guertin added the final margin in the final minute off an Irish counter-attack. Guertin received a pass from sophomore Maggie Manning before chipping a shot over Rollins for the 2-0 win.

Erika Bohn picked up her second shutout of the season.

The Irish continued their dominance in the series against St. John's, having never allowed a goal to the Red Storm in eight meetings between the two teams. The Irish have scored 40 goals in those eight games.

With the 10th game-winner of her career, Warner joined Guertin as one of nine Notre Dame players to score at least ten game-winners.