Navarre sets Michigan passing record

Michigan quarterback John Navarre became the school's all-time passing leader Saturday.

Navarre has been Michigan's full-time starter the past three seasons after getting four starts in his freshman year. Navarre finished Saturday's game 14-of-21 for 199 yards and now stands at 6,503 yards for his career.

Elvis Grbac previously held the record with 6,460 yards.

Perry grabs attention

With his effort Saturday afternoon, Michigan tailback Chris Perry became one of the front-runners for the Hesiman Trophy race.

Perry set the tone on the first play of the game when he stiff-armed Notre Dame cornerback Preston Jackson to the ground. Later in the game, Perry hurdled Irish cornerback Jason Beckstrom.

The Wolverines wanted to establish the pace of the game early by pounding the Notre Dame defense with Perry. Michigan gave Perry 14 carries in the first quarter. His success early in the game forced the Irish to go to man-to-man coverage where Navarre took advantage of his wide-open receivers.

Dubious marks from Saturday

After the domination by Michigan Saturday, a number of records were set in this series and in Notre Dame history.

-- The 38-0 defeat was the biggest shutout against the Irish since a 40-0 Notre Dame loss to No. 1 Oklahoma at Notre Dame Stadium on Oct. 27, 1956. Saturday was also the eighth biggest margin of defeat in Notre Dame history.

-- Notre Dame's total yards of 140 was its worst output since the USC game last November when the Irish only gained 109 yards.

-- The Irish were shut out for the first time since Nov. 28, 1998, a 10-0 loss at USC.

-- Michigan's shutout of Notre Dame was the first in the series since 1902. The 38 point margin of victory was the largest in the series by 15 points.

-- The last time the Irish scored an offensive touchdown against a ranked opponent was a 31-yard touchdown run by Ryan Grant against Florida State on Oct. 26, 2002.

Gameday captains

Captains for the Irish on Saturday afternoon were quarterback Carlyle Holiday, linebacker Derek Curry, defensive lineman Darrell Campbell and kicker Nicholas Setta.