STUDENT SENATE: Council reps approved

The Student Senate unanimously approved three of four students Wednesday to represent the student body on the University's Academic Council this year.

The students were selected by the Deans of their respective colleges before being approved by the Senate. Meghan McCabe represents the College of Science, Willa Qian comes from the College of Business and Nicole Wykoff is a student in the College of Engineering.

The fourth student representative from the College of Arts and Letters was appointed earlier by the Office of the Student Body President and already sits on the Academic Council.

Senators questioned the students regarding their position on the issue of TCE publication before approving them. They all expressed their eagerness to work on the issue with faculty and administrators and to convey student opinion on the issue.

However, the representatives said they do not know when the issue will go before the Academic Council. The proposal must first be discussed by the Undergraduate Committee within the Academic Council before it can be put on the Council's agenda.

Wykoff also commented on the reservations of faculty members to have the TCE's published for student use. She said this reluctance was apparent when the three representatives met with Academic Council members.

"They realize that there definitely needs to be something there to help [students] choose classes," she said. "It seems like it could be much more viable that they come up with an alternative to publishing TCE's."

Senators also passed a resolution today requiring that the undergraduate representatives to the Academic Council submit a written report regarding the council's progress on the TCE issue, as well as other issues, within seven days of each Academic Council meeting. The purpose of this is to keep Senators abreast of proceedings within the Academic Council.

In other Senate news:

u The Senate unanimously approved two new Student Union Board members at their meeting today. Christian Palmer was approved as the new head operator for SUB, and Bridget Meecham assumes the role of concert programmer.

u Student Body President Pat Hallahan spoke on the Church in Africa Conference, which ended Wednesday and included a speech by Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo.

"It's these kind of issues that I think we should pay attention to. We have an obligation, I feel, to help those who don't have the opportunities that we have," Hallahan said.