Unfamiliar foes square off in match of Pyros and Lions

Sunday's showdown between Pasquerilla East and Lyons will be between two teams that don't know much about each other. The Pyros and Lions did not play each other last year and both squads are eager to find out who's better. Lyons has had a difficult week preparing for PE because of the poor weather. "We have had problems getting everybody to practice this week because of the rain," Lions captain Lauren White said. "We really need to prepare better than we did this week," Even without adequate practice, Lyons will still be a tough team to beat. The Lions feature wide receiver Megan Regan and quarterback Roxy Trevino on offense. Trevino is back this semester after being abroad last year, and she hopes to pick up right where she left off. Becky Wynne is a player to watch on the defensive side of the ball. Pasquerilla East is brimming with confidence heading into this weekend. "We are coming off a win against Howard last week, and we want to keep cruising on through our schedule," Pyros captain and nose guard Laura Wolohan said. After an early season one-point loss against McGlinn, PE is looking pretty good. The Pyros are led by freshman quarterback Laura Adams and wide receivers Kathy Lent and Leslie Fulmer.Also look for the defensive back tandem of Rachel Brown and Kendra Simpson to make some noise. Unlike Lyons, PE has had a productive and focused week of practice. "We have been working on pulling flags, picking balls off on defense ... the usual," Wolohan said. "We really need this for a win."

Badin vs. HowardIt will be a test of endurance Sunday when Badin and Howard face off West Quad Field.As both teams should be recovering from their Thursday night games, the deciding factor could come down to which team has the greater stamina.Badin's squad is primarily composed of veteran players, many of whom are seniors. Most of Badin's seniors have played for four years, so these girls have a lot of experience on the field. The Bullfrogs' success last season was largely the result of their talented defensive line. The great number of returning players on this team certainly has helped to keep up their intensity on defense in the games they've played so far. Badin coach Jenn Carter is impressed with this aspect of her team's game this year."We're real excited for the season, and our defense is strong as it's always been," Carter said.Carter and her team are hungry for a spot in the play-offs, and she thinks that becoming one of the top three teams to make the play-offs is a very realistic goal. She realizes that getting there will not be easy, since there are so few games and so few spots available. "Every game is important," Carter said. "We need to win."Although Badin lost their season-opener against Lewis, they quickly bounced back to the winner's circle with their defeat of Lyons in their second game of the season. Carter thinks that any team in the Gold league is capable of beating any other team in the league.Howard's team, captained by Shannon Trevino, has had a rockier season so far. The Ducks are currently winless, with a record of 0-2. "It will be one of our most even matches," Carter said. "The winner of the game will be determined by who's going to come out and play hard."