Belles split four matches over break

Saint Mary's went 2-2 over fall break, collecting a much-needed conference win and a win over non-conference opponent Rose-Hulman. The Belles' record now stands at 15-12, with a 4-9 MIAA record, good for sixth place in the eight-team conference.

The Belles traveled to Alma Oct. 17 and came away with a loss in straight sets by the score of 17-30, 25-30, 25-30.

Outside hitter Kristen Playko led the Belles in kills with 10 and tied for the team lead of 15 digs with defensive specialist Alison Shevik.

It was a good defensive game for the Belles, with four Saint Mary's players finishing in double digits for digs. Setter Lauren Temple led the team with 18 assists and also led with three service aces.

As a team, the Belles hit .152 for the match, compared to the Scots' .229 hitting percentage.

Saint Mary's continued its road trip last Tuesday as the Belles traveled to Hope to participate in the Hope College Triangular, facing two conference opponents while at the tournament.

In the first match, Saint Mary's defeated Olivet in three games by the score of 30-17, 30-15, 30-15. The Belles defeated Olivet earlier this year as well.

Playko again led the team in kills, collecting 17 for the match, and also chipped in a team-leading 11 digs. Shevik followed closely behind with 10 digs.

Libero Michelle Gary had one of the best serving games all year for the Belles, collecting six service aces. Middle hitter Emily Seif added four more aces, and the Belles as a team collected 14 aces against the Comets.

Temple led the team with 32 assists.

The Belles were unable to keep their winning streak going against host Hope in the second match of the tournament, however, falling by a score of 17-30, 28-30, 25-30.

Middle hitter Elise Rupright led the team with 11 kills, and Playko led all Belles with 16 digs. Again, Saint Mary's had a solid defensive game, with four players finishing the match with 10 digs or more.

Saint Mary's completed its final road trip of the season with a trip to Rose-Hulman Thursday. The Belles defeated the Engineers in four sets.

The Belles have only one more match in the regular season, a conference match up at home against Albion this Friday. Saint Mary's then awaits its seed for the MIAA tournament, to be held beginning Nov. 3.