Elizondo publishes 12th theology book

Notre Dame theology professor Father Virgilio Elizondo recently published his twelfth book, "A God of Incredible Surprises: Jesus of Galilee." The book is based on Elizondo's observations both of theology and the Gospels, as well as his own personal experiences.

"[It's a] conversation between Scriptures, the tradition of the Church and personal experiences," he said.

The book deals with fellowship, sacrifice, the Virgin Mary and life, among other topics.

"I hope that people will appreciate the love, mercy and compassion of God," Elizondo said.

Inspired by his work in various parishes involving everyday issues, the Gospels and the teaching of the Catholic Church, Elizondo started writing the book about five or six years ago. During that time, he wrote off and on, after attending to his duties as a diocesan priest.

Published by Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, Inc., the book - which has received critical praise for its new insights - will be available in bookstores in the beginning of November.

Elizondo, born in San Antonio, Tex. to Mexican immigrants, has spent time serving as pastor of San Fernando Cathedral, where he celebrated Sunday Spanish Mass. He also works for underpaid Mexican-American workers. Part of his work involved the establishing of the Mexican-American Cultural Center, located at the Assumption Seminary.

In 1997, the Laetare Medal, the University's highest honor, was bestowed on him for his hard work.

Elizondo speaks many languages, including Spanish and French, and has traveled to several countries, including nations in Latin America, the Far East and Manila in the Philippines.

He has written 11 other books, including "The Future is Mestizo," "Galilean Journey" and "The Human Quest," and he co-wrote "San Fernando Cathedral: Soul of the City."

Elizondo said he would like to thank the many students and faculty members who contributed to the book.