The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.



Green Wave shuts out St. Ed’s

Justin Schuver | Thursday, October 16, 2003

So far, this season has been a disappointing one for Fisher. Wednesday night, they got the chance to take out a little frustration and perhaps have the chance to back into the playoffs with a 20-0 win over St. Ed’s.

Wide receiver Tom Gorman had two touchdowns and the Fisher defense held strong as the Green Wave posted the shutout.

“This was a huge game for us,” Gorman said. “We expected to play like this all year. It was good for us to come out and show people we can play like this.”

Despite starting a freshman at quarterback in Casey Cullen, the Green Wave were able to pick apart the St. Ed’s passing defense, with Gorman carrying most of the load with 83 yards on three receptions.

Cullen finished the game 7-for-15 with 163 yards. He also collected several key scrambles when the St. Ed’s defensive backs had good coverage.

“We’ve been working on our passing game all year,” Gorman said. “We had to start a freshman quarterback, but he’s really starting to step up.”

St. Ed’s wide receiver Joe Pomerenke had a valiant effort in his team’s loss with 82 yards on five receptions.

The Green Wave needed only five plays to score on their opening drive, with Cullen completing passes of 23 and 40 yards before handing off to running back Kameron Chappell for the touchdown. The two-point conversion failed.

St. Ed’s was forced to punt on its first possession of the game, and Fisher opened the lead to 12 points with a 13-yard touchdown pass to Gorman. Again, the conversion failed.

St. Ed’s got the ball back and drove down to the Fisher 25-yard line, but had to turn the ball over on downs. With time running out in the first half, the Green Wave engineered a seven-yard scoring drive that culminated in a 30-yard touchdown reception by Gorman.

Fisher increased its lead to 20-0 by running for the two-point conversion.

The Green Wave would score once more near the end of the third quarter, with running back Andy Pfiester scoring on a 1-yard touchdown run at the end of a seven-play drive. The two-point conversion was successful.

St. Ed’s made one last attempt to get on the scoreboard in the fourth quarter, driving down to the Fisher 26-yard line before again turning the ball over on downs.

“We really played our hearts out,” Pomerenke said. “We really had a good season and I think we showed something to other teams this year.”