Netters dominant at weekend tourney

The Notre Dame men's tennis team finished strong in the Tom Fallon Invitational, winning seven of 10 singles matches Sunday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion and Courtney Tennis Center. The Irish, who posted a combined 26-14 record in the 17th annual event, will return to action Friday, Oct. 17 in an exhibition match against rival USC at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.

Four Notre Dame players were unbeaten in the tournament, with a pair of them posting singles victories Sunday. Freshman Ryan Keckley was the only Notre Dame player to go 5-0 over the weekend. He beat Army's John Houghton 6-2, 6-0 Sunday morning to improve to 6-0 in singles in his first collegiate fall.

Junior Jimmy Bass, who competed only in singles in the Tom Fallon, beat Army's David Collins 6-0, 6-1 Sunday for his third win of the weekend. Bass is 5-1 this fall.

Also perfect on the weekend were a pair of tri-captains in senior Matthew Scott and junior Brent D'Amico. Scott won a pair of matches in both singles and doubles to improve to 8-2 and 4-1, respectively, this season.

D'Amico returned to the court for the first time since undergoing elbow surgery in June. He won in his only two matches, both in doubles.

Senior tri-captain Luis Haddock, ranked 64th in the nation in singles, pulled out a 1-6, 6-0, 1-0 (15-13) decision against John Sabia of Army. Haddock finished his Tom Fallon Invitational career with a combined singles and doubles record of 26-3. He was 16-1 in singles and 10-2 in doubles.

Freshman Stephen Bass won four of his five matches, culminating with a 6-0, 7-6 (7-3) triumph over Army's Rafael Albornoz. Bass is 5-1 in singles and 4-0 in doubles in his young collegiate career.

Sophomore Patrick Buchanan got his second singles victory of the weekend, defeating Army's Sebastian Salas 6-3, 6-2.

Other Sunday winners for the Irish were freshmen Irackli Akhvlediani and Bobby McNally. Akhvlediani topped Michael Good of Army 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8), while McNally beat Purdue's Scott Warner 6-4, 6-3.