Students organize charity tournament

Notre Dame juniors Steve Dick, Aaron Medlock and Dave McGowan are looking for basketball and volleyball players to dribble, shoot and spike for charity.

The three business majors are organizing two tournaments, scheduled for today and Sunday, to raise money for a new sector of Habitat for Humanity as part of a project for their management course "Introduction to Entrepreneurship," taught by business professor David Hayes.

The assignment requires students to turn a $200 profit each off of a $20 loan. Dick, Medlock and McGowan have decided to donate their profits to a Habitat for Humanity project that builds wheelchair ramps at the homes of disadvantaged handicapped people in South Bend. Medlock, who volunteers with Habitat, inspired the three to donate their returns to the organization.

"The new sector builds ramps for people so they can go into their house as they please ... without needing someone else to help," Dick said.

The volleyball tournament takes place today at the Stepan Volleyball Courts. Students in groups of three had the opportunity to register for the tournament through Wednesday evening. The cost of registration is $15 per team and the winning team will receive the autographed game ball.

The basketball tournament is scheduled to take place on Sunday at the McGlinn Courts at 2 p.m. The winning team will also receive an autographed game ball.

The three students are confident that turnout for the events will be high, despite the unseasonably cold weather. The group is also working on an indoor location in the event of rain.

"We're hoping for about ten teams for each sport," Dick said. "That would be a really good start for the ramps. I think for the sake of charity, people will come despite the chill."

The tournaments can accommodate a maximum of sixteen teams each, and the events have generated positive responses among students.

"People have been really interested," Dick said. "I think people are getting their teams together. This is a thing we really want to see get off the ground and we're willing to make a lot of sacrifices."

The group advertised for the events by placing flyers in dorms and table tents in both dining halls. So far, they have spent $10 of their allocation. Rules set up for the course prohibit them from spending more than the amount they were given, which presents challenges in advertising and event planning, Dick said.

Dick, Medlock and McGowan plan to organize other events throughout the semester to generate between $600 to $1,000 for Habitat for Humanity. Dick estimates such profits can build one to two ramps. At the end of the semester, they also intend to volunteer their time to construct the ramps.