Ticket exchange can't meet student demand

Standout attendance at this year's student ticket exchanges may indicate an increased feeling of disheartenment amongst even the truest fans, as Notre Dame's football team continues to perform unsatisfactorily.

In the recent student ticket exchanges for the USC and Florida State games, students braved long lines to trade in their football tickets, coveted in more successful seasons. Many students were unable to trade their tickets, for far more than the 300-person limit showed up to make the exchange.

Students began camping out before dawn to trade in their USC tickets two weeks ago, Breen-Phillips junior Sarah Cancellare said.

Students arriving even an hour prior to the ticket exchange could not exchange their tickets. This was due to the process' chaotic organization, which allowed many students to work the system to their advantage, Cancellare said.

"There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the ticket exchange process," she said.

While the number of students vying to exchange their USC tickets was unusually large, the number seeking to swap tickets in this year's other exchanges has not been remarkable, assistant athletic director Jim Fraleigh said.

"[The exchanges] have been consistent throughout the past few years," he said.

Because of the team's performance this season, some students feel that an increase in students wishing to exchange is justified.

"This season was supposed to represent a return to fundamentals, yet a majority of the weaknesses we have seen are fundamental mistakes," Chris O'Boynick, an off-campus senior, said, "This season is not the one I envisioned for my senior year. If students want to trade in their tickets, that's fine by me."

Others remain hopeful that the Irish can rekindle last season's spark, holding out for the team's next upset. "Even though this season isn't as exciting or as successful as last season, I still support the Irish every Saturday because I know Ty's a great coach and that our players can be better," Erin Phillips, a Breen-Phillips Hall junior, said.

"I think everyone's quick to jump off our bandwagon but the students have to stay. I definitely wouldn't have sold my ticket. I'd rather be in the student section than watching it on TV," Phillips said.

Many other students have resigned themselves to an imperfect season but will continue to attend the games and support the team.

"It's been disappointing to not have a better record senior year, but at this point it's game-by-game situations, and I'm just hoping we can take a few," off-campus senior Karyn Dionisio said. "Once you accept that we can't win every game [or many] this season you stop caring and just enjoy yourself."