Womens Soccer: Irish dominate once again with defense

Heading into the game against Indiana State, women's soccer coach Randy Waldrum was concerned his team was looking ahead to upcoming top 10 foe West Virginia. Despite a dominating win, some of his concerns were warranted in his team's 3-0 win.

In contrast to their normal efficiency, the Irish scored three goals on 32 shots against the Sycamores, while Indiana State managed only one shot.

"We just weren't quite as sharp," said Waldrum. "I think you could look at the tape and see that we were pretty dominant and they didn't cause us many problems. At times it looked good when we were knocking it around. It was pretty but not very effective and we have to cash in on some of our chances."

For the seventh game in a row, the Irish defense held the opposition to less than two shots - the only shot Indiana State registered was a weak one from long range.

"I think Melissa Tancredi is the best back in the country right now," said Waldrum. "And Christie Shaner has really settled in and done well. Between Vanessa Pruzinsky and Lizzie Reed and Kimmy Lorenzen, they've all done a great job and are finally coming together. A lot of the things we're doing to keep them from getting opportunities is coming from the defending of our midfielders and even our forwards."

The Irish got on the board 10 minutes into the contest. Senior forward Amy Warner started the sequence by beating her defender before passing to Guertin, who shot the ball into the left side of the net.

The Irish dominated possession for the rest of the first half but could not get back on the board until 3:37 remained. Junior Mary Boland was tackled in the box, giving the Irish a penalty kick. Boland took the kick and placed the ball in the lower right side of the net to give the Irish a 2-0 lead at halftime.

Boland also played a big part in the final Irish goal early in the second half, passing the ball from the left side into the box, where senior Kim Carpenter headed it in for her second goal of the season and the final 3-0 score.

The Irish return to action Friday as they continue their eight game homestand against West Virginia in the first Big East Divisional Game of the season for the Irish. Notre Dame will be looking to avenge last season's 3-0 loss to the Mountaineers.

Notes- Boland's goal was her team-leading ninth of the season. She leads the team with 22 points, while Warner's team-leading eighth assist was her 20th point.

- The Irish have outscored its opposition this season 40-5. Notre Dame is ranked No. 2 in all of the major polls, with North Carolina being ranked No. 1.