Kelly promotes SMC on 'Live!'

Saint Mary's was recently featured on the popular morning television show "Live with Regis and Kelly," when co-host Kelly Ripa received a brochure and video that highlighted various aspects of the school from the College's Marketing Communications Department.

During the segment, which aired Oct. 22, Ripa showed co-host and Notre Dame graduate Regis Philbin the brochure that featured her in several of the pictures, thanks to computer reproductions of the images. She is featured "playing basketball" and "making friends with the student body".

The pair went on to discuss possible majors for Ripa. Spanish, humanistic studies and sociology were some of the possibilities mentioned, but Ripa agreed that any easy subject would be her first choice.

"If they had Latin American music [as a major], I'm there!" she said.

Students said they were excited about the segment, which aired during Saint Mary's fall break.

"I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I actually saw it for the first time when I came back to school, and I was so honored to hear them talk about Saint Mary's," junior Amy Nicholson said. "It's awesome to think that we are being talked about on a nationally televised show that so many people watch."

Junior Kathleen Murphy said the show has increased awareness about the College.

"I heard about it when I was in a salon over break, and a lady sitting next to me asked where I went to school," she said. "When I told her I went to Saint Mary's, she got really excited and told me how Kelly was talking about our school on the show the day before, and commented on what a nice school it seemed like."

Philbin, an avid Notre Dame supporter, has mentioned to his co-host several times that she should get her degree from Saint Mary's. Philbin and Ripa wore Saint Mary's College t-shirts on a prior episode.