ND ex-VP named Portland's president

The University of Portland announced Thursday that former Notre Dame executive vice president Father William Beauchamp will be named Portland's 19th president.

Beauchamp succeeds Father David Tyson as president. Tyson stepped down from the position in June after being named provincial superior of the Indiana Province of the Congregation of the Holy Cross.

Beauchamp has served as senior vice president at Portland since 2002. He served for over 20 years at Notre Dame and remains a University fellow and trustee.

"The board is honored to announce the appointment of Father Beauchamp, who brings to the University of Portland a wealth of experience, leadership and dedication to the world of higher education," Chair of the Board of Regents Ted Winnowski said in a statement. "We believe Father Beauchamp will build on the many accomplishments of his predecessor Father Tyson; continue to focus on our mission of teaching, faith and service; and lead the University of Portland to becoming the premier Catholic university in the West.

"His skills as an administrator, teacher and mentor will help continue to serve our students and faculty well."

Beauchamp received his bachelor's degree in accountancy and MBA from the University of Detroit and his master of divinity and law degrees from the Notre Dame.

The other presidential finalist was Father James McDonald, who also served at Notre Dame and currently is the rector of St. George's College in Santiago, Chile.