The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.



Womens Soccer: Avoiding the storm

Andy Troeger | Monday, November 3, 2003

Coming into Sunday’s game against Miami, the women’s soccer team had never lost a Big East Tournament game. The Irish survived the Hurricanes, winning 2-1 in overtime, but barely managed to win their 19th all-time tournament game.

While the Irish managed to dominate possession throughout the last three-fourths of the game, it was not until senior Amanda Guertin’s golden goal 2:54 into the overtime period that the Irish could savor coach Randy Waldrum’s 200th victory as a Division I women’s soccer coach.

“Its exciting, although I hadn’t even realized it until I saw something about it last week on the Internet,” said Waldrum of the milestone. “It couldn’t have come with a better group of women, so getting the 200th with this group was special. More important than that is that we’re moving on with a chance to regain that Big East Championship again.”

Guertin’s goal came on a set piece with senior Kim Carpenter adding her second assist of the game, as Guertin drilled a shot into the right side of the net.

“It might be the best one,” said Guertin, comparing the goal to her other 17 game-winners in her four years. “It’s to go on and it’s playoff time, the team has done so well, it’s great.”

The goal ended a frustrating game for the Irish, who outshot the Hurricanes 27-5 and had 11 corner kicks to only three for Miami. The Irish had 10 shots on goal to only three for Miami.

Still, there were some nervous moments as well for the Irish. Erika Bohn made a brilliant save early in the game by coming out and knocking the ball away.

In the second half, only moments after a near-goal by Jill Krivacek glanced off the crossbar, Bohn came out to play a ball that ended up being deflected off an Irish player. The ball rolled toward the Irish goal, but rolled just wide.

“I think right before we started the first overtime we told ourselves to just keep going at them,” Guertin said. “We felt it coming; it was just a matter of when. Sometimes they just don’t go in. We should have finished a few earlier but that’s what happens sometimes.”

“I got a little nervous at the beginning of the overtime,” Waldrum said. “I felt like we’d been all over them, especially in the second half where I thought we’d played a lot better and created a lot of chances but at that point I was starting to plan out who was going to be taking our penalty kicks [if the game remained tied through two overtimes]. Once you get to that point, the best team doesn’t always win.”

The Irish got on the board first as Katie Thorlakson hit a low shot from the left side that beat Miami goalkeeper Alex Alford. Carpenter and senior Amy Warner were credited with assists on the play.

Miami struck back with less than two minutes to go, as Jackie Garcia scored after a Notre Dame foul. The Hurricanes seemed disorganized as they were setting up the play, shooting it quickly. Bohn was unable to reach the shot as it went in the right side of the goal.

The Irish also continue to be bit by the injury bug, as senior captain Amy Warner suffered an ankle injury midway through the second half. She did not return, and her status for the upcoming Big East and NCAA Tournament games is uncertain.