Belles look to improve record against Andrews

Already showing flashes of solid play, Saint Mary's will look to improve upon its 1-2 record Wednesday night when it hosts against an eager Andrews University squad. The Belles, led by coach Suzanne Bellina, commenced their season with two quick loses to Hanover College and Franklin College, but they bounced back last Tuesday with a formidable effort in a 73-62 win over Manchester. In this win, Emily Creachbaum and Katie Boyce looked particularly strong with solid scoring efforts of 16 and 17, respectively. Maureen Bush looked very active as well, contributing 10 points in only 18 minutes of play.In their two losses, the Belles have looked decent, particularly in the 68-65 loss to Hanover, when Saint Mary's was down eight points at the half. In this defeat, Creachbaum scored 18 points and grabbed 7 boards, while Bridget Boyce added 16 points and 6 rebounds. On the other hand, the Belles looked weak offensively in a 54-44 loss to Franklin. Andrews will come into Saint Mary's looking to defeat the Belles in an early season non-conference game. The two teams have already met this year, in a Nov. 4 scrimmage. Saint Mary's is currently 1-0 in conference play, going into Monday night's contest with Anderson. The Belles will need continued strong play from Creachbaum, Katie and Bridget Boyce, and Bush in order to come out with a victory against Andrews. Creachbaum and Bush have been the most consistent in rebounding in the team's first three games, and this continued aggressiveness on the boards will ensure that the Belles improve with each game. If the Belles can come up with a victory, it would provide the team with strong momentum going into this weekend's Saint Mary's College Roundball Tournament, featuring Saint Mary's, Illinois College, Washington University and Calvin College. After the tournament, the Belles play a tough home game against conference opponent Albion College. Saint Mary's College and Andrews University will play Wednesday at 7p.m. at home.