Board of Governance: Officers pass changes to constitution

Saint Mary's Board of Governance wrapped up the semester with holiday flair at Monday's meeting as officers unanimously passed minor changes to the student government constitution and exchanged Christmas gifts.

Vice President Sarah Brown detailed alterations being made to the structure of the constitution. Most consisted of specific wording changes and chronology of the document's sections. The description of the Student Government Association, for instance, will not precede the description of BOG.

Brown also briefly discussed the new constitutional amendment process.

"We just made it a lot clearer and more specific," she explained.

Constitutional amendment submissions must be sent first to the constitutional committee for review. If approved, it will then move on to BOG where it will be voted on. Under the new rules, rejected amendments cannot be resubmitted without some change.

"You can't just keep submitting the same amendment over and over," said Brown. "You have to change it somehow, whether it be the wording or format."

In other BOG News

uBOG voted to grant Pi Mu Epsilon $1500 in co-sponsorship money for their trip to the Joint Mathematics Meeting, which will be held in the spring in Arizona. Pi Mu Epsilon is the senior math majors club and the conference traditionally provides great opportunities for seniors to network with possibly employers.

uBOG also granted $1000 to the senior retreat committee to help cover the costs of this year's senior retreat. The event, which committee members hope will be held at the Moreau Seminary, is a weekend of personal reflection open to the entire senior class. The committee's request for sponsorship from the Committee for Women in Leadership was rejected.

u"Lessons and Carols," an annual ecumenical celebration of the advent season, will be held Dec. 14 at 7:30 p.m. in the Church of Our Lady of Loretto. It will feature scripture readings, songs and dance. Participants are encouraged to bring an offering of non-perishable food items to be donated to the Chapin Street Clinic.

UThe Student Activities Board is sponsoring a holiday movie, "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," Tuesday and Saturday at 8 p.m. in Carroll Auditorium. Free sub sandwiches will be provided.