Trustees nearing choice for president

The Saint Mary's Board of Trustees will meet Monday to begin selecting the next president for the College.The College's Presidential Search Committee and Board of Trustees began the process after Eldred announced March 5 that she intended to retire from her position. She agreed to stay on until a successor is named. In early July, the Saint Mary's Board of Trustees hired Korn/Ferry International to conduct a search for a qualified candidate to fill the position. Following this search, the goal in August was to announce three presidential candidates to the Board of Trustees in October. The committee has since announced and hosted four candidates on campus. Students learned of the candidates and their credentials with their visits through various opportunities to meet with them and ask them questions.Students were then asked to evaluate each candidate's pros and cons, as part of what the Board will be reviewing for their final decision this Monday."The comment I heard the most was that the students felt the candidates who came to campus were all very qualified and they were very impressed with the process," said Elizabeth Jablonski-Diehl, student body president. "The student body seems very happy with it so far. I think that now we just have to wait and see."The search committee then met just before the Thanksgiving holiday to decide on and recommend candidates to the Board of Trustees for their December 15 meeting.The final four candidates to be reviewed include Carol Mooney, vice president and associate provost at Notre Dame, Josefina Baltodano, an executive vice president at Alliant International University, Susan Keys, an administrator at Johns Hopkins University, and Gail Baker, vice president of public relations at the University of Florida.