Belles look to regain form against Alma

A tough stretch of games over the winter has hurt the Belles' overall record, but the team looks to rebound Saturday against Alma College.

The Belles (4-10) have lost their last five games and are 0-4 in the MIAA this year. After a close loss Tuesday against Adrian College, the Belles are eager to pull out a win against Alma.

Despite the setbacks faced over the past month, the Belles remain confident about the rest of the season. The team looks to play more aggressively and avoid mistakes.

"We are as hungry as ever to get a win and get things on track," coach Suzanne Bellina said. "We are still focusing on getting the little things done as well as getting an aggressive mentality for 40 minutes rather than just parts of the game."

Alma College (8-5) has traditionally been a tough opponent for the Belles, and this year looks to be no exception. Forward Karen Hall, who recently was named MIAA player of the week, should be a strong presence in the post for Alma.

The Belles will try to counter Alma's good shooting and inside game with a determined defense and a combined team effort.

"We feel that our depth, defensive intensity and rebounding are our big keys in winning this game," Bellina said. "The key to turning this season around is getting all of our players on the same page at the same time."  

Center Emily Creachbaum probably has been the most consistent player for the Belles this year, but the team has done best in games where there is a balanced effort.

"Our team has been very balanced this year," Bellina said. "I feel like there are many different individuals that have stepped up at different times throughout the season."

The Belles will play nine of their last ten games against conference teams. With a win against Alma, the Belles can snap their losing streak and gain their first conference win of the year.

The Belles will play at home against Alma Saturday at 3 p.m.