Loving all people

I am writing in response to Casey Staton's March 30 letter to the editor. Staton assumes that by taking a moral and religious objection to homosexual conduct, that Catholics do not love those who are inclined to homosexual conduct. We should love all people, black, white, heterosexual, homosexual, Catholic, Protestant or Jewish. But that does not mean that we must condone and support lifestyles that are inconsistent with the Catholic Church, nor need we facilitate people to commit sin.

Yes, ultimately, God will be the judge of all of us and we should not judge each other, but neither should we help, encourage or facilitate others to commit sin. By giving approval to United in Diversity, a student homosexual organization, the University would be doing just that.

Catholics should not give money to Planned Parenthood, should not allow cohabitating couples to live in their homes, pay for women to use contraceptives or support the formation of homosexual clubs that do not support the teachings of the Church. It is one thing for Notre Dame to provide counseling to those who are feeling homosexual tendencies, in order to allow them to realize the sin inherent in that activity, but it is another thing for the University to recognize and give monetary support to a group that believes that homosexual conduct is acceptable, and indeed, praise worthy.

In the last few months, we have seen the Notre Dame administration wobble in its truly Catholic stance by allowing the Vagina Monologues, Queer Film Festival and non-Christian prayer events to invade this campus. Notre Dame has found itself in an identity crisis that has begun to lead it down the wide road to meaningless Catholicism. At least on this issue, the University has chosen correctly. One can only pray that the University will realize this is but the first step to return Our Lady's University to its Catholic character and mission.

Courtney Lee Tawresey

first year

Law School

March 31