The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.



No. 1 Duffey lands quarterfinal win

Anne Loughery | Tuesday, March 2, 2004

The 153-pound quarterfinals started with a win for senior J. Ryan Duffey. The No. 1 seed Duffey defeated Dillon sophomore Michael Dolan. St. Edward’s junior Bobby Gorynski also collected a win over O’Neill senior Nathan Schomas.

The next fight resulted in a unanimous decision in favor of off-campus junior Tim Huml, who defeated off-campus senior Don Zimmer after delivering several headshots.

Dillon sophomore Joe Rehmann then faced Alumni senior Corey Harkins. Harkins took over in the second round to earn a unanimous decision.

155 pounds

O’Neill junior Nathan Lohmeyer defeated Zahm sophomore Paul Hagan in a unanimous decision. Lohmeyer delivered a battery of hits in all three rounds.

In a split decision, Keough sophomore Mark Basola was victorious over Keenan senior Sean Tucker. Basola returned with renewed energy and doled out a series of quick hits in the third round.

Junior Mike Panzica earned a split decision over Siegfried senior Ted Volz. Panzica threw a jarring shot to Volz at the end of the fight to sway the decision in his favor.

Zahm freshman Adam Burns started off strong against off-campus senior Brandon Gasser, swarming Gasser with several shots to the head during the first round. Gasser gained control of the bout in the second round and earned the win.

160 pounds

Fisher junior Colin Kerrigan received a unanimous decision over Morrissey freshman Christopher Calderone. What seemed at first to be an evenly matched fight turned into just the opposite, as Kerrigan dominated the last two rounds.

Senior Alex Roodhouse followed with a win over Siegfried freshman Nathan Dyer. The match ended at 1:05 in the second round when Roodhouse overwhelemed Dyer.

O’Neill junior Justin Alanis won his match against Alumni sophomore Charlie Gough at 1:29 in the first round after he hit him in the nose.

Senior William Phillip overpowered Sorin sophomore Patrick Flaherty to end the match at 1:07 in the second round.

170 pounds

In a unanimous decision, senior Tommy Demko won the first match of the 170-pound weight division over Keough freshman Brian Sefton, with a number of forceful headshots.

Law school grad student Matthew Smith took the upper hand during the third round to defeat Zahm senior Patrick McGarry by a split decision.

The next fight resulted in a unanimous win for senior James Ward over senior John Wahoske.

Law student Brian Nicholson and senior Matt Knust were the last to fight. Knust was slow to get up from the mat in the third round, and Nicholson claimed the win in a split decision, finishing with three right hooks.