Observer names editors

The Observer has hired department editors for all but one General Board position, incoming Editor in Chief Matt Lozar announced Sunday. Three of the 10 positions are being filled by those who have served in the posts since January. Those rehired include Viewpoint Editor Sarah Vabulas, Scene Editor Maria Smith and Controller Paula Garcia. Mike Harkins was rehired as the Graphics Editor, a position he has held since March 2003.The six new General Board appointments are: Claire Heininger, News Editor Heather Van Hoegarden, Sports EditorAngela Saoud, Saint Mary's Editor Claire Kelley, Photo EditorCarrie Franklin, Ad Sales ManagerKelly Nelson, Ad Design Manager The appointments are effective March 15. "Each person selected brings significant talent and experience to their respective positions," Lozar said. "I am confident the staff assembled will build on the tradition of excellence The Observer has established."Heininger, a sophomore from Howard majoring in American Studies and minoring in journalism, started working with The Observer during the fall semester of her freshman year. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native previously worked as an assistant news editor. Van Hoegarden, a sophomore from Pasquerilla West, is an accounting major from Burr Ridge, Ill. She has covered women's basketball and volleyball. Saoud is a junior majoring in English writing with a minor in early education. Originally from South Bend. Saoud lives in Holy Cross and is currently working with the South Bend Tribune as an academic intern. Kelley, who is currently abroad in Rome, began shooting sports and news last year. The junior English and art history major from Columbus, Ohio originally lived in McGlinn.Franklin, a Welsh Family junior, is majoring in political science and Arabic studies. The Cincinnati native joined The Observer's staff as an account executive.Nelson, a junior from Pasquerilla West, began working for The Observer during the spring of her freshman year. The pre-med and psychology double major is a native of Rockford, Ill.Vabulas took over as Viewpoint Editor in January after previously working as the Scene Editor. A sophomore from Marrietta, Ga., she lives in Saint Mary's McCandeless Hall and is majoring in communications and theology.Smith was rehired in January as Scene Editor after studying abroad during the fall semester. A native of San Diego, Smith lives in McGlinn and is majoring in the Program of Liberal Studies. Garcia first joined The Observer in January when she was hired as controller. A sophomore accounting Oak Brook, Ill., Garcia lives in Pasquerilla East.Harkins, a junior management information systems major from Dillon, originally hails from Canton, Mich. The Observer is still accepting applications for the Web Administrator position. Please direct all inquires to Lozar at mlozar@nd.edu.