Belles prepare for key game

This could perhaps be the biggest week of the season for the Belles. Saint Mary's will play one game today, instead of their accustomed doubleheaders, which will be extremely important for the remainder of their season.The game with Bethel will be a warm up of sorts for tournament play, in that it will give the Belles an opportunity to play only one game for the first time since their match up with Purdue-North Central March 25.The MIAA tournament format involves one single game instead of the doubleheaders which teams play all season in league play. Belles head coach Anna Welsh has stated that it will be important to grow accustomed to that change in scheduling if the team manages to make the tournament.Today's game will be important in another way as well. If the Belles can win, they will have two straight wins under their belts, including a tough 2-1 eight inning win over Saint Xavier's on Sunday, that they could use as confidence heading into Kalamazoo on Thursday. Although Kalamazoo is 0-12 in the league, and 4-23 overall, it is imperative that the Belles win both of the games to put them in the best position possible for league play.Saint Mary's has been blessed with outstanding hitting all season and solid pitching. Several players are batting above .300, lead by Erin Sullivan who is hitting .342. Kate Sajewich has been stellar on the mound all season, posting an ERA slightly above 2.00. Today's game against Bethel will be played at Notre Dame. The first pitch will be at 6:30 p.m.