Committee members recap involvement, events

The final Graduate Student Union meeting of the year was held Tuesday and members provided final committee updates.President Martiqua Post began the meeting by thanking those who served as committee chairs and officers. Timothy Dale then spoke on behalf of the Academic Affairs committee and addressed the committee's involvement with travel grants and account funding. John Young, next year's president-elect, followed with a report on the Health Care Committee's activities. The report included the following: the lack of attendance at Health Care Orientation, the possibility of adding benefits in the future, the Committee's support of Megaplan and adjusted premium for students. Young said the largest obstacle facing the committee is student ignorance regarding their options and their healthcare plans.Crystal Blount, from the Quality of Life committee, discussed Fall Orientation and its success along with suggestions for change. She then proposed the possibility of later limiting GSU's involvement in Spring Orientation. She added that a new e-survey would be sent out at the end of this week due to a low response to the original survey.Electronic Resource Administrator Yanto Go highlighted some of the new and existing features that will be available due to the introduction of the new server.Guanjun Zhang, from the Information Technology Committee, discussed the implementation of RESNET in the Village, printing quota updates, improvement of cluster services, CTC meetings and GSU cluster upgrades. He then concluded with a schedule for their committee and an outline of the upgrade budget.Alison Dekoschak, chair of the Publicity and Procedures Committee, whose job is to "announce events and oversee the organization's professional image," gave a timeline of past events. She highlighted the tasks her committee performed during both the summer and winter seasons.Sharon O'Neill was the last committee chair to present, representing the GSU Social Committee. She spoke of its summer, fall and spring activities which, included tickets to the 23rd annual "Taste of Chicago," "A Midsummer Night's Dream," "Romeo and Juliet," the 10th annual Blues and Ribs Festival, ice skating, a Thanksgiving brunch, a Mardi Gras party and a Wine Tasting seminar. The meeting concluded with a brief of old business and new business.