Dusk 'til Dawn' to be held tonight

"Dusk 'til Dawn," an all-night event promoting awareness of the plight of the homeless and raising money for the proposed Saint Peter Claver Catholic Worker House of South Bend, kicks off tonight at 8 p.m. in front of Dillon Hall.The evening starts with an opening Mass by Father Bill Lies, executive director of the Center for Social Concerns and continues on South Quad with a lighting of luminaries. Organizers said that they hope the event will remain on South Quad all night, though a significant drop in the temperature or rain could drive it into Stepan Center."We're actually going to be spending the night on the quad," said sophomore Jackie Clark, who organized the event along with fellow sophomore Michelle McCarthy and a planning committee. "People are asked to bring sleeping bags and blankets."Activities planned throughout the night, including presentations and films, will educate participants about homelessness. Attendees will also have the opportunity to spend time in prayer and reflection. Drew Buscareno, former director of the South Bend Center for the Homeless, will speak, along with a former resident of the shelter. Participants will be treated to a viewing of a film showcasing the life of Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic Worker. The evening will also include a reading of "Faces of Homeless-ness," which recounts the personal experiences of homeless people.The event culminates on Saturday morning with a reflection, closing prayer service and a breakfast of Krispy Kreme doughnuts."Hopefully it will be a good opportunity for people to come out and learn more about homelessness and the fight against it," said freshman Liz Loo, a member of the planning committee and Notre Dame Circle K.Revenue collected from the $5 registration fee, hourly pledges and T-shirt sales, which were provided by the AP Image Team at a reduced cost, will benefit the proposed Catholic Worker House. The house must raise $20,000 by May in order to open.So far, 200 people have registered for the event, though people can still sign up this evening before Mass, Clark said. Although the group said they doubt that they can raise the full amount of money tonight, they have also been collecting donations in Decio Hall and Wal-Mart and plan to solicit additional funds from Notre Dame alumni clubs.Planning for "Dusk 'til Dawn," began in August, Clark said. It is sponsored by Notre Dame Circle K, the classes of 2006 and 2007, Campus Ministry, the Alumni Association, AP Image Team and various dorms.