Members concentrate on improving The Show

Improving "The Show" - an annual concert open only to students of Notre Dame, Saint Mary's, and Holy Cross - was the main topic of discussion at Monday's Board of Governance meeting.

Next year will mark the fourth annual tri-campus event, which director of fundraising Patrick Vassel said the committee wants to bolster as a tradition.

"This is really something that we are focusing on this year," Vassel said. "All students from all three campuses should feel that this is really something that they can be a part of and they can enjoy."

The committee also plans to focus on more collaboration between the three schools. Elizabeth Gansler from Holy Cross and Kat Kindt from Saint Mary's sit on the 2004 "The Show" board as representatives, and volunteers. Funding will also come from all three campuses.

Advertisement for the concert will also be distributed on all campuses. Kindt said the board intends to promote the show heavily during freshman orientation, while parents are still on campus.

"The concert is the next weekend, and parents will feel more at ease knowing what their child will be doing," she said.

Ben Zerant, vice chairman of finance, centered on the monetary aspect of the first few days students are on campus.

"If we advertise during the parents phase, the parents are much more likely to shell out the $10 than the students are," Zerant said.

"The Show" chairman Jimmy Flaherty said he believes the $10 ticket price will not hinder students from attending the concert."We had 4,000 people - a record attendance - for Black Eyed Peas and Guster last year," he said.

Flaherty also said an electronic survey will be sent out soon to students on all three campuses to help choose bands for the event. Past performers have been SR-71, They Might Be Giants, George Clinton and the Parliament Funk and Better Than Ezra. The committee is open to suggestion from all genres of music, especially top 40 bands and up-and-coming acts.

In other BOG news:

u Executive secretary Lindsay Cook must step down from the Board of Governance before the next school year. BOG is currently looking for a new secretary.

u The tri-campus shuttle is being debated by a refinancing board. Service has been provided by several companies on a yearly basis, and now Notre Dame and Saint Mary's are searching for a contract for up to 10 years by bidding companies. The committee will continue to meet throughout the summer and has already decided the Holy Cross, University Village and Hammes Bookstore stops will be eliminated from the new contract.

u The preliminary budget for student government for the 2004-05 academic year has been released. The budget has risen almost $4,000 since last year, increasing to $219,750. Each student contributes $150 to student government at the beginning of the school year.