Provost searches for Mooney's successor

The search for an associate provost to replace Notre Dame's departing Carol Mooney, who will take over as Saint Mary's president in June, is well underway, according to University provost Nathan Hatch. He added that Mooney's departure should not have any adverse impact on the functioning of his office.Although Hatch said he could not comment on the names or the number of candidates being interviewed for the position, he said the University is exploring candidates both inside and outside of Notre Dame."We are engaged in an extensive search with internal candidates, and we're also looking outside of the University to try to find the best candidates," he said.Hatch said that a search consultant is being used to assist with the process. Qualified candidates should possess the necessary leadership and experience to work closely with faculty on a variety of issues, he said."We need someone who understands faculty well and who has long and valued experience at a University," he said. "The position is responsible for things like the promotion and tenure process. One has to someone who understands and appreciates all the dimensions of faculty life and can give leadership to that." Hatch declined to comment on a timetable for the appointment of a new associate provost and vice president, although he noted it "will not be before May 1" and said he hopes "it will be sometime before the middle of May."Hatch said that the announcement would be made public "as soon as we can."He also said that the other members of his office would pick up any necessary slack should there be a gap between when Mooney leaves and her replacement assumes the position."We will accomplish the core functions - whatever it takes - we will do that. We will have to adjust to what needs to be done," he said.In addition to Mooney, John-Affleck Graves and John Jenkins also serve as associate provosts and vice presidents. Hatch also declined to comment on how his office would be affected should the Board of Trustees name someone from his office to the currently vacant position of Executive Vice President. "We'll have to wait until the Board of Trustees act," he said. "I expect them to name someone at the upcoming Trustee meeting. I'm not free to say anything about it."The Board of Trustees meets Thursday and Friday.