SMC invites donors to experience campus

Beginning today at Saint Mary's, donors who have contributed to various projects or scholarship programs over the past two years will arrive on campus to experience college life.

Organizers said they hope that this extended weekend will inspire benefactors to maintain their Madeleva level of support with a minimum contribution of $1,000 to the Annual Fund each year and raise their generosity. This year marks the first that Saint Mary's expands its celebration to take place over the course of three days, instead of one.

While actively continuing to seek consistent unrestricted gifts of $1,000 or more to endowment priorities, capital projects, restricted funds, as well at Mother Pauline Society members who have included Saint Mary's in their estate plans, a celebration honoring their contributions takes place.

Last year, Saint Mary's integrated the annual celebratory dinner into a full-day event which included a morning presentation, luncheon, an afternoon presentation, a traditional liturgy and concluding with dinner to end the celebration.

Adaline Stefanac Cashore, director of donor relations, said that the recognition weekend, formally known as the Madeleva society dinner, now includes not only Madeleva Society members, but also Mother Pauline Society Members and Donors of Endowment Priorities.

Events over the course of the weekend begin with the annual Madeleva Lecture on "Women Shaping Theology."

Friday allows donors to attend classes with students and later, a mini-retreat, poetry readings and a spring concert performed by the Saint Mary's College Repertory Performance Dance Workshop.

More lectures will take place Saturday, as well as an appreciation luncheon and movie.

Keeping with tradition, Cashore said the events will conclude with liturgy and the Madeleva Society Reception and Recognition Dinner held at Noble Family Dining Hall.

"We begin actively planning nine months ahead of time," Cashore said of the festivities. She expects about 225 donors to attend the dinner and a smaller population spread out over the weekend.

"The event allows donors to visibly see and experience life on campus and create a meaningful experience," Cashore said. "It keeps the donors coming."

Since many donors are located far from South Bend, Cashore hopes that with more to see and do on campus the trip will be worth their while.