SMC students volunteer at Dia Del Nino festival

Saint Mary's students donated their time at the second annual Dia Del Nino, a community festival put on by local radio station 98.1 Sabor Latino and the Girl Scouts.Sunday's festival gave community members the opportunity to bring their children to the festival for food, entertainment and games. This was the first year Saint Mary's Student Diversity Board has been a part of Dia Del Nino. They have been working closely with Sabor Latino for about one month to coordinate the event. "We were approached by a member of the radio station who came to SDB's Spring Fiesta and really enjoyed our event," event chairwoman Ashley Doughty said. "He was interested in working with us and we thought it was the perfect opportunity to get involved with the surrounding community." Approximately 25 Saint Mary's students volunteered at the event. The volunteers worked in shifts and were comprised of Student Diversity Board members and other students. Dia Del Nino was open to the community, and several hundred people came out to take part in the event. It was previously advertised in local newspapers and on the radio station. One of the board's goals for the upcoming year is to increase involvement in the surrounding community. Doughty says she hopes the Student Diversity Board will remain in relations with the event's sponsors, Sabor Latino and the Girl Scouts, to stay active in the community. Despite encountering minor glitches during the day, Doughty said the day was a success."We still had a great time, and the community responded really well to our involvement," she said.