Staff member assaulted near Turtle Creek

A physics research visitor was assaulted and robbed Saturday evening at approximately 8 p.m. as he was walking near Turtle Creek apartments.The researcher, who is visiting Notre Dame from Portugal from March to May, was walking home from campus east on Vanness Road, east of Ivy Road, when two or three youths approached him, punched and kicked him. The victim said they took his wallet after he had been knocked to the ground. The suspects fled the scene as a student approached on a bicycle and called police from his cell phone.St. Joseph County Police, the South Bend Fire Department and Notre Dame Security/Police responded to the incident. The suspects were described to police as black males between the ages of 18 and 25. Police searched for the suspects but were unable to locate them.The victim said NDSP transported him to Health Services, but he was not treated there because he is not a student. Physics Department Chair Albert Barbasi took the researcher to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for a broken bone in his hand. The victim said he also suffered injuries to his nose during the incident.St. Joseph County Police is investigating the incident and anyone with information about it should call 235-9611.