ND seniors: Monk will be missed

As graduating seniors prepare for one of the greatest changes in their own lives, the University is preparing for a big change of its own - the transition from University President Father Edward Malloy to President-elect Father John Jenkins, which will take place in 2005.Although the announcement came as a surprise to most, some feel that the time for a leadership transition has come."I think it's the right time for the change," said senior Stephen Morrow. '[Malloy] has been here 17 years ... I think that his tenure has been amazing. I don't think people realize what a great job he's done, and I think Father Jenkins is ready for the challenge." Seniors noted Malloy's visible presence on campus as something that has impacted their time as students."I'm a Sorin resident, so I've had a chance to get to know him and have conversations with him," Morrow said. "He's always been very available and open to meeting people [in the dorm], and he's been very visible on campus."Senior Katie Hunter agreed."The biggest impact was seeing him walking around campus and how he lived in Sorin," she said. "It made the Dome feel not so far away from the average student."What changes Jenkins will bring to the University are yet to be seen, but seniors also agreed that the experience of students at Notre Dame will likely change with Jenkins as University President."I think [students are] bound to have a different experience ... because I think the way the school is portrayed will change," said senior Tai Romero. "I'm not sure what the changes will be, but I'm sure that something will have to change."Seniors said they would like to see the University continue to strengthen its focus on students under a new president."I would like to see the administration pay a little more attention to what students want," Hunter said. "When students would like a significant change, like changing parietals or getting more money for the Wednesday lunch fast, or any variety of things that affect students' life, I would like to see more attention paid. I think it's going to be hard, but I think it can happen."