The Show is deemed a success

The Show headliners Talib Kweli and Jason Mraz impressed fans and non-fans alike Friday night with energetic performances that included impromptu stage appearances by several students.

Rapper Kweli opened the show with a high-energy number. The lesser known of the night's performers, some students complained about Kweli's lack of notoriety.

"I didn't really know his music," said freshman Shawn Redington. "No one seemed to know his songs."

For many audience members however, his performance more than made up for a lack of familiarity with his songs.

"I was very impressed by him," said junior Shannon Morfin. "I didn't even really know who he was and I don't normally like that type of music that much, but now I am thinking about buying his CD."

Midway into Kweli's set, he asked students to come on stage. When security stopped them because of safety concerns, the rapper threatened to end his performance, turned off his equipment and walked off the stage. Security quickly relented and Kweli invited the dancers to join him up on stage.

Student reaction to Mraz, who reportedly was spotted at Turtle Creek socializing with students later that night, was more unanimous. He wowed a largely female audience with his distinct voice and dance moves.

"Jason Mraz was awesome. It was probably one of the best shows I have ever been to, certainly one of the top five," said junior Amanda Caddy.

Freshman Brett Adams agreed.

"[He] put on a great show," said Adams. "I hadn't really heard his music much, but it was still pretty cool."

Much to the audience's excitement, Mraz also shared the stage with students at one point in the show. Three fans familiar with the lyrics were invited to help him sing his best-known song, "The Remedy," karaoke style.

An annual event, The Show's goal is to bring in big-name performers while keeping tickets prices affordable. Although its effectiveness is often questioned, the event is presented to students as an alternative to Rally in the Alley and drinking, according to show chairman Jimmy Flaherty.

This year, in addition to Rally in the Alley, The Show faced a scheduling conflict with the inaugural pre-season football scrimmage. Flaherty said the scrimmage was mislabeled as competition for the show.

According to Flaherty, the committee had been working with the Athletic department since July to co-promote the events. While Flaherty was unable to provide a specific number, he described turnout for The Show as "unbelievable."

"The director of student activities and vice president of student affairs were more than thrilled with the attendance," said Flaherty.