Freshman quarterback hopes to lead Walsh past McGlinn

Opening the season with a loss - especially a one-point loss - can become a difficult mental obstacle.McGlinn opened its season last Tuesday with a heart-breaking, one-point loss to the Breen Philips Babes. But the Shamrocks are unwilling to let that loss destroy their season, and they are prepared for their upcoming game against the Walsh Wild Women tonight at 9 p.m. at Riehle Fields."It [was very bad for the team] that we lost such a close game," captain Liz Maher said, "but we have learned from our mistakes and are ready for Walsh."If McGlinn has its way, Walsh will have to stop the strong rushing attack of junior running back Raquel Ferrer. Ferrer was the star of McGlinn's first game, and she looks to carry the load even more in this second game.After working through the mistakes made during the last game, the McGlinn offense appears to be clicking. Alongside junior co-captain and quarterback Bridget Meacham, Ferrer and McGlinn will look for a better result than their last game.While it will be Meacham and Ferrer who lead the team offensively, Maher expects her other players to follow the captain's lead.This will be difficult to do, however, if the Wild Women of Walsh have anything to say about it.Having given up only six total points the entire season - and led by cornerbacks Katie Hesmond and Patty Rose - Walsh feeds off its defense's intensity. Hesmond has had two interceptions in each game she has played, giving her six for the season and providing constant sparks for the offense.Campbell says that, while she went down with an injury, freshman Mary Sullivan has stepped up at the ever-important quarterback position. "Mary has done a great job, and we are definitely looking to score a lot against McGlinn," Campbell said.Cavanaugh vs. FarleyCavanaugh is looking to erase all doubt caused by its scoreless tie with Walsh from over a week ago. The Chaos want to prove they are worthy of a preseason No. 1 ranking when Cavanaugh [0-0-1] takes on Farley's Finest [1-2] tonight at 8 p.m. on Riehle West Fields."In practice this week, we increased our repertoire on offense and tried to get more people involved," Cavanaugh captain Sara Gilloon said. As with most teams this season, the Cavanaugh offense has yet to catch up with the defense. The Chaos are well aware that the defense - although talented - cannot shutout teams week in and week out.Farley looks to move further up in the rankings, all the while proving that the Finest cannot be taken lightly."We were all pretty disappointed with the close lost on Sunday, but we are confident we can bounce back," Farley captain Angelina Zehrbach said. "Our defense is fine, but the offense has been struggling, so hopefully we can get that going."A young and talented receiving corps will try and revive a Farley offense that has stalled inFarley's improvement has in no way gone unnoticed by the rest of the league, but Cavanaugh is no exception. The Chaos are preparing for a hard-fought battle against an offense that put up some touchdowns earlier in the season.Pasquerilla East vs. Breen PhillipsTwo teams with completely opposite records face off as the women's football season heads into full swing in its third round of games. The 2-0 Breen Phillips Babes take their high-powered passing attack into Tuesday's 7 p.m. meeting against the 0-2 Pasquerilla East Pyros at Riehle West fields. BP heads into the evening showdown with confidence after a quick, unblemished start, while PE looks for its first win."We're getting more comfortable as a team," Babes captain and center Jaimie Feltault said. "We're starting to read each other well. We're not so much learning now, but perfecting smaller things."Offensively, we've been improving steadily. We've been able to connect on some long passes," Felthault said.

After falling last week to cross-quad rival Pasquerilla West and Farley, Pasquerilla East aims to get on the winning track. Despite scoring a combined 13 points in their first two games, the Pyros believe they can turn things around against a stingy Breen Phillips defense. "Our offense is improving slowly but surely," quarterback Laura Adams said. "Everyone's getting more used to running our plays. Our first game, we didn't really know what we were doing."Adams got the Pasquerilla East offense rolling, though, with two scores in the Pasquerilla Cup in a 19-13 loss. Her team failed to score in its first game but managed two touchdowns against the Purple Weasels with a touchdown pass and a quarterback sneak. Pasquerilla East's quarterback knows her young squad needs to improve on preventing big gain plays, an especially dangerous threat posed by the Babes."We gave up some big plays in our first two games," Adams said. While Pasquerilla East tries to get on the winning track, Breen Phillips vies to run its winning streak to three games."It's still early [in the season]," Faltault said. "We need to stay focused on the game and take it one game at a time. We stick to the basics in practice, so we stay sharp on the field."

Contact Nathan Dyer, Tom Stiles and Tom Dorwart at ndyer@nd.edu, tstiles@nd.edu and tdorwart@nd.edu