God, country, Notre Dame

It is hard to imagine, for us seniors, that this Saturday will mark the somber three-year anniversary of the day that shook our world. Not being from a traditional Notre Dame background, as a two-week old freshman, I didn't quite know my place at this great University. Was I, too, part of the storied "Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame - or just a spectator?

However, soon after the 8,000-strong Mass out on South Quad only hours after the tragic events, I realized I was indeed part of a great legion of people.

The resolve and reflection experienced from that day forward with the entire campus woke me up to the true meaning of the phrase that bounds all of us here together: "GOD, COUNTRY, NOTRE DAME" is no slogan; it signifies our solemn duty, our faithful commitment and our common creed.

As we, the Class of 2005, march on to do great works and to fight the good fight, let us not forget that day that wrapped us up in a shield of unity. Let us not forget those who lost their lives or those who still mourn for lives lost. Nonetheless, during these trying times, let us stand firm in our loyalty to God, Country and Notre Dame; in doing so, we are all players on the field, standing strong together in solidarity and strength. Together, we cannot be beaten, broken or deterred from doing what is right for our faith, for America and for the University of Our Lady.

Darrell R. Scott

Senior Class President

off-campus

Sept. 9