Republicans stack the vote

This Wednesday, the College Republicans voted unanimously against democracy.

During a motion to support outreach to the community, the College Republicans had the audacity to tell Rock the Vote commissioners that they would rather have citizens not vote than vote for their opposition. On the table was a program to register and educate ignorant voters in the area through the TRANSPO citywide bus system. By distributing flyers, students through Rock the Vote would help South Bend commuters register and find their polling locations on Election Day. The goal was simply to help citizens learn where to exercise their civic duty. The motion failed.

The club rejected any funding or involvement with this initiative. Based on prejudicial assumptions regarding race and income, the College Republicans claimed they had no interest in helping these concerned citizens reach the polls. Any of the twelve bus routes, they alleged, would simply help Democrats in November. The College Republicans would rather citizens not know where to vote than to vote Democrat.

As a Republican, a minority and an American, I am deeply offended by the position of this organization. In addition to their racial and economic profiling, College Republicans have decided against a fair election. This club would rather win with an unrepresentative minority than let democracy truly work.

If President George W. Bush is truly worried about Indiana on Election Day, the College Republicans have a lot more to worry about than this nonpartisan college group. Regardless, if you are a Democrat and want to vote in November, don't tell the College Republicans. They would rather you stay silent. Rock the Vote, on the other hand, will not stand for this position. We are committed to helping any and every citizen take part in the democratic process, regardless of party. A true win on Nov. 2 is not only for the political party that takes power, but rather for every American who fills out his/her ballot.

Philip Wells

junior

Dillon Hall

Sept. 18