Batteast honored as Preseason National Player of the Year

After a season that saw her named to a first team all-Big East performer and honorable mention All-American, Irish senior Jacqueline Batteast has been named the Preseason National Player of the Year and a first team All-American by Basketball News.

The forward earned these honors in the publication's season preview after a season in which she averaged 16 points and 8.6 rebounds per game.

During the postseason, one which saw the Irish reach the Sweet 16, Batteast averaged a double-double - 22 points and 11.7 rebounds per game, to go along with a .483 field goal percentage.

Last season was the third in a row Batteast was named to the all-Big East team.

Entering the 2004-05 campaign, Batteast is in 11th place on the Notre Dame all-time scoring list, with 1,315 career points.

She has started 64 straight games for the Irish, and 86 of the 90 games played in her three years at Notre Dame.

Already this preseason, Batteast has been named a preseason All-American and award nominee by four other publications.

She was selected to the Wooden's Women's Award Preseason All-America team, meaning she is one of 30 candidates for the Wooden Award given to the top women's basketball player.

She was also named to the watch list for another top award, the State Farm Wade Trophy.

Lindy's named Batteast a preseason first team All-American. Finally, Street & Smith's named her to its "Terrific 10" list of the nation's top players.

Batteast hails from Washington High School in South Bend.