Fans glad Irish are back on

After last week's loss to Purdue and the threat of a 3-1 Stanford team coming to Notre Dame, fans were happy and relieved after Saturday's win against the Cardinals.

The storm clouds cleared and the sun shined brightly Saturday as fans gathered to watch the Notre Dame Irish take on the Stanford Cardinal.

After Stanford's fight to the end against USC and the Irish loss to Purdue still looming from the previous weekend, Notre Dame students were prepared for a win.

Sophomore Doug Brown said although he was anxious, he was happy with the final score.

"It was a good time - a little closer that I would have liked, but we played well and picked up a win."

Junior Chris Finch said he thought while the Irish scored a win, they could have done more on the field.

"We did okay, but our defense could have done better," Finch said. "They didn't play like we've seen them play. Brady still struggles with scrambling when there's too much pressure but he did make some good heads-up plays. Rhema [McKnight] and Maurice [Stovall] made some really nice grabs too."

Freshman Bob McQuiston said he thought the win reinvigorated the fans and the team as students prepare to leave for fall break this upcoming weekend.

"After a slow paced and low spirited week last week, I think this game gave us the momentum we needed to keep on rolling for the rest of the season."

And according to sophomore Spanish Hernandez, it was not only the game, but also the tailgating that led to a great football Saturday.

"It was an awesome time," Hernandez said. "It was crazy tailgates and then victory for the Irish. But I really do love tailgating."

With the upcoming game against undefeated Navy, students and fans alike are gearing up for what they hope will be an Irish victory.

Some, however, are certain.

"We're going to cream Navy," Hernandez said.