Vacation plans vary from home to abroad

As the stress of midterms subsides, suitcases are replacing books and students are focused on fall break activities from football games to trips abroad.

Some, like Pasquerilla West sophomore Aly McKillen, aren't terribly concerned about following set plans.

"I'm going to Long Island to stay with a friend from ND and we're going to the city and whatever else. It really is not that planned of a trip. We might go to the boy's soccer game at St. John's,"McKillen said.

Among the swirl of plans to catch some surf and sun, a group of Notre Dame students have planned a trip down South for the week,

"We are going to road trip down to Mobile [Ala.] where I am from. Then spend some time in New Orleans and Nashville before coming back to ND," Dillon junior Zach Madonia said.

Other students have planned to spend the week during service projects.

"I am going on an Appalachian trip to New River Gorge Park. We will be learning about the region and helping to maintain trails in the park area," Tim Feldman said.

Lewis junior Lauren Mullins, who spent this past summer at school, is excited to head home.

"I haven't been home since June and I think New Orleans is ready to see me again," Mullins said.

Some international students are capitalizing on the week and going back home.

Pasquerilla West sophomore Stephanie Frank said, "I'm going to Houston for four days then home to Guatemala City. I am super excited to see my family and party with my friends, South American style!"

A trip to the Meadowlands to support the Irish football team is on the agenda for some Domers.

"I am going to New Jersey with a bunch of friends to watch ND dominate Navy, to sleep and to go out in New York City," senior Helen Kearney said.

"For fall break I am going back to New Jersey to go see the Navy game, root on the Irish and tailgate with my family and friends from school. For the rest of the week I'm just laying low and playing some golf," Keenan sophomore Greg Stewart said.

The Notre Dame student section at Navy game might be less than a sea of green, however, as director of student activities Brian Coghlin said that a number of students did claim their Navy tickets they won in this week's Student Union Board ticket lottery.

At least 40 pairs of tickets currently untaken, and they are available for purchase by any student.

Whether it is time spent here, at home or aboard, the break will be welcomed after a long, weary week of midterms.