Athletic department: Jasinski on administrative leave

Halfway into his fourth year, Irish head coach John Jasinski is on administrative leave, according to John Heisler, associate athletic director.

"Coach Jasinski is on administrative leave," Heisler said, declining to make further comment on the issue.

Jasinski, assistant coach Chris Whitten, and several team players also declined to comment on the situation.

The news comes just a week after the Irish wrapped up their fall schedule, in which Jasinski piloted them in an up-and-down season.

During Jasinski's more than three-year tenure, the Irish had already made major steps to becoming a force in the collegiate golf world. During the 2003-04 season, Jasinski coached the Irish to the Big East Championship and their first NCAA Regional berth since 1966. They where they finished 12th and just missed a chance to compete in the NCAA Finals.

Jasinski greatly improved the strength of both the Irish schedule as well as its lineup. He recruited strong classes and his incoming freshmen have routinely made an impact on the team.

Jasinski, who is the fifth head coach in the 75-year history of the program, has been committed to Notre Dame for the long haul. In June, he signed a contract extension to continue coaching at the University, and he founded the Irish Golf School, where he, along with Whitten, provided teaching sessions to Irish friends, family, alumni and supporters.