Group debates ticket sales

In a continuation of discussion from Monday's Council of Representatives meeting, the topic of men's basketball ticket distribution was brought up Wednesday at Student Senate.

Senior Karl Wahoske took the podium to make senators aware of the problems he perceived with the current ticketing process, and to suggest possible solutions.

"For the second year in a row, I don't have basketball tickets. Last year I was the second person in line not to get them; this year I was the fifth," Wahoske said. "There has got to be some kind of change made to the system."

Echoing arguments made by Siegfried senator James Leito at the COR meeting, Wahoske said that he saw the reservation of 200 tickets for Saint Mary's and Holy Cross students as unfair for those Notre Dame students left empty-handed.

"When there are a limited number of tickets - not like football, where everyone can get tickets - all of the student section tickets should be offered to Notre Dame students first," Wahoske said. "I just want to the chance to watch my school's basketball team play."

Morrissey senator Josh Pasquesi said later that he did not believe that eliminating fans from Saint Mary's and Holy Cross was the answer.

"A policy of exclusion is not going to be approved by the University, and it's not a good policy to follow in general," Pasquesi said.

Wahoske also took on the policy of allowing students to line up with six IDs when purchasing tickets. Calling six IDs "excessive," Wahoske suggested that limiting the number to two or three would help eliminate casual fans with weaker attendance numbers and reduce incidences of line cutting on distribution day.

Wahoske said that one of the main detriments to an increased ticket allotment for the student section was the poor average attendance of ticket holders, and that it was imperative for senators to encourage students to go to games.

"You guys are leaders, so push for the necessity of students with tickets to come to games, so we can get more tickets in the future," he said.

After Wahoske spoke, senators briefly discussed ways to improve the system.

Welsh Family senator Stephanie Pelligra said that her dorm had already instituted an informal system of exchange within the dorm. Other senators were encouraged to talk with their hall governments about doing the same until a campus-wide system could be devised.

The issue was sent to the University Affairs committee for further investigation and discussion.

In other Senate news:

u The resolution on Teacher Course Evaluations directed to the Campus Life Council planned for a vote Wednesday was removed from the agenda.

Academic Affairs committee chair and head of the TCE project Vijay Ramanan said that the resolution had been intended to force the administration and faculty to act on the TCE concerns. However, after faculty members were reportedly "warm and open" to the proposal Monday's Faculty Senate meeting, the resolution was deemed unnecessary in its current form.

Student body president Adam Istvan said that a more idea-specific resolution would come to a Senate vote by Nov. 17.